01 November 2010

Homemade Stuffing

I will be honest.  I was a little wary of attempting this at first, but I could not find any yeast-free, sugar-free stuffing mixes.  I do not live in a great metropolis city where things like this might be more readily available.  I did not even have a recipe to guide me.  What is stuffing, anyway?  Croutons (a.k.a toast), broth, and spices/herbs.

Because I cannot eat yeast or sugar, I used an unsweetened loaf of brown rice without yeast.  I bought it at the local health food store.  I made toast, which usually involves scraping Burnt off of the edges (I need a new toaster or something), then sliced the toast into my crouton size of choice.  While the bread was toasting, I managed to dice some fresh hungarian banana pepper (just a little for an extra bite), a few sprigs of parsley, some cebolla (an onion), and a little sage.  I used all fresh, not powdered, ingredients.  Then, I mixed these and the croutons in a bowl as I would toss a salad.  I let it sit overnight in the refrigerator, and shortly before supper I let it all simmer on the stovetop in a saucepan with homemade chicken stock (enough to thoroughly soak the croutons) until all of the liquid had been soaked up and the bread was soggy.  Salt to taste.

This tasted quite well.  It was mildly sweet and salty.  The flavor reminded me a bit of pizza I think because of the pepper.  Mr. Yeater even sang its praises!  Quite an accolade from one who loves sugary, yeasty, glutenous foods.

One of these days I will have a digital camera and show you.


Copyright November 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...